8.3.09

Madri Gras : Sydney : 7032009

Made it to Mardi Gras 2009 last Saturday with Yalis, Jems and Saiful. There were so many people along the road of Moore Park. Sandwiched between Yalis and a friendly lady (who happily spanked my bottom!),with my face stuck in between iron bars, I managed to shoot some pictures to show what I witnessed. The pictures shown here are for you to see and understand through my eyes.
What is Mardi Gras?
I searched the internet for definition but it seems all the definitions are contradicted with what I have witness last Saturday. These are some definitions I found:
1. Fat Tuesday ( a carnival festival held in some countries on Shrove Tuesday (the last day before Lent).

2. Shrove Tuesday, the day when traditionally all fat and meat in the house were finished up, before ChristiansLent, which commenced the following day on Ash Wednesday ( en.wiktionary.org).

3. French for Fat Tuesday, the single-day culmination of the Carnival season (www.neworleansonline.com).

There are many more explanations on Mardi Gras but none able to make me understand the Mardi Gras parade in Sydney. After making a few research, I found out that this major festival in Sydney is not Mardi Gras but New Mardi Gras. So what is the difference? Check out this website: New Mardi Gras


Anyway, ehem...to my dearest family and friends, the reason I went to Mardi Gras was not to show support on homo-relationships. I believe that if we want to understand something, then we have to experience or get a first hand knowledge on that something. Sydney has a large population of gays and lesbians (just naming the common terms used). You just cannot miss them because having such unique souls; they just love to flaunt their colors and affections anywhere, everywhere and every time to everyone! Therefore, if you are homophobic, you will have a hard time trying to avoid or shield them from your views ^_^

I guess it is safe for me to say that I am not homophobic but I do not agree with either homosexual marriage nor homo- relationships. Nevertheless, I respect the practice and the feelings involve in these relationships. I understand the trauma, stigma and difficulties they have to go through. I pray that none of my love ones will have to face difficult obstacles as these people facing in trying to make people accept them as who they are. This is my answer to the New Madri Gras message on ‘Our Freedom, Your Freedom’: I respect and understand your fight so I hope you will respect my religion and opinions too. I understand and I hope you will understand too. Cheers to a more peaceful and loving world!

p/s: yalis: she is the one in the arm of that leather clad spectacles guy.Those guys looked sooooo menacing! But dear Yalis just went up to them with a smile for a pose together hence we were rewarded with this beautiful picture!

My hope is that by understanding each other, all of us could come to a common point in a fight. New Mardi Gras, Palestinians freedom, wars, poverty in poor countries, political agendas...
everyone has a cause to fight.
Let's not be judgmental
Let's clear the hatred cloud in our heart
Let's not be bias
Let's hear the pleads
Let's reach the cry and tears
Let's understand.

Related Articles

0 comments: